Basic Technology Requirements
Students taking online classes should be comfortable using a computer. They will have access to computers at school. The computers have the technical requirements needed to be successful. You don’t have to be a technology wizard, but you must be comfortable with your
system and be willing to deal with any problems that may arise.
Are you familiar with these technical elements and are able to demonstrate these skills?
- Use a browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.)
- Use a standard word processor
- Manage email, including sending email attachments
- Understand and respect netiquette
- Understand basic file management
- Download and install software
- Find information on the Internet
Need to know how to use a specific software application? Students have access to Atomic Learning through Blackboard. Click on the Atomic Learning logo to visit the site and view short online video tutorials on many software applications.
Here are the minimum technical requirements for your computer’s operating system and other items you may need. APS school locations and public libraries will have current and updated equipment if you will be going there to study and work on your online class.
- Windows XP or above / Macintosh OSX 10.5 “Leopard” or above
- 512 MB RAM (2GB or higher optima)
- Reliable email software and active email account
- Reliable Internet access - This does not have to be at your home. You can visit the library, community center, or any place that offers free wireless.
- Access to a printer is strongly recommended
- Your course may require special plug-ins (free) to access Streaming Media (video clips)
When you are away from an APS computer or are using a non-APS computer, be sure you have updated your computer with the correct plugins on a PC and the correct downloads on a Mac.
Looking for a quick way to update your browsers and plugins on a PC? Visit the Ninite website. Select the following applications listed below and then click Get Installers. The site will install current updates on your computer.
- Mozilla Firefox
- Quicktime- Use Software Update to keep QuickTime up to date on your Mac.
- Windows Media Player
- Flash for your web browser
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Adobe Air
If you are using a MAC computer, you must download the installer from each site. You may click on each link above to download the updates.